Re: Transient states

My comment had to do with times where the contrast FAILED during hover.  But PASSED at other times.    So this would not be a problem.

I think you are talking about when the contrast FAILS normally and PASSES only on hover (yes?).
     I think this is very bad practice - but WCAG only requires that something have a mechanism or way of  passing - not that it pass in its default presentation.
  So unfortunately this would pass as well - not because of the SC wording — but because of the conformance wording.
 (AND we cant require that everything pass in default or else closed captioning would be outlawed (all captions would have to be open)  and dozens of other problems.  In fact, where two disabilities need two different presentations we would have to drop one because it can’t be correct at default - in two different settings.

So I think it is bad practice but not a violation — and we can’t make it a violation without deciding that the default should be for a particular group — and not another — and not what would be standard.

Do you see what I mean?   or do you see something I am missing    (or did you mean something else all together? )

gregg