Re: WCAG Agenda January 19, 2016

Regarding Issue 80. Since I'll be absent here is my thinking on issue 80.

When people use sprites for foreground images (images with important
semantics) they should not use background-image to import them. The
"before" and "after" pseudo elements work just fine for this purpose. AT
looks for background images because they are dispensable and most
background images create reading havoc for people who cannot process detail
well, a very big group. AT like Windows High Contrast and others that
enable removing background images have a perfectly natural way to find
these images, the background-image property. When people misuse
background-image they disable this programmatic access for AT.

The proposed solution does fix the text alternative issue I agree.

The proposed language does not address the semantic issue for low vision
access. The LV user may want to see the sprite image, they just don't want
to read text in front of visually confusing backgrounds.

F3 should be kept. It is an obvious failure of 1.3.1.  ARIA is not the
solution because CSS already supports semantically appropriate a way to
load sprites and not violate properties that are needed for other reasons.

That what I have. I don't think the proposed language gives a complete
solution.

Wayne

I think that sums it up.