Re: Principle 4 - Robust (was Re: Help needed with numbering success criteria for WCAG 2.1)

I have an outstanding policy wonk question: Guiding Principle (for
numbering and placement).

There has been some discussion over whether this is a Perceivable issue
(1.x.x) or a Robust issue (4.x.x). I'd like to hear your thoughts there
Gregg, but outside of that, no.

JF

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:34 PM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> nope
>
> Cheers,
> David MacDonald
>

> *Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*
> Tel:  613.235.4902
>
> LinkedIn
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>
>
> twitter.com/davidmacd

> *  Adapting the web to all users*
> *            Including those with disabilities*

> <http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Gregg Vanderheiden <
> gregg@raisingthefloor.org> wrote:
>
>> Ah very good
>>
>> that would definitely be a barrier to someone whose computer is locked /
>> mounted in one position or another
>>
>> Ok — so you are thinking of an SC that requires pages to be viewable
>> without requiring the user to rotate their screens in on format or another?
>> Sounds like a good - and new - and testable one.
>>
>> anyone see a hole in this?
>>
>> *gregg*
>>
>> On Jun 28, 2016, at 4:33 PM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Many sites currently do this sort of thing in a very primitive way (they
>> check the browser window/viewport width/height and, if it's not in the
>> "correct" ratio, they simply put a big roadblock in front of the content
>> until the user changes the ratio/turns the device. As noted earlier in this
>> thread, there are now more robust standards/techniques coming (screen
>> orientation API, CSS directives that lock a view into a particular
>> orientation, directives in progressive web app JSON manifests that
>> explicitly set a locked orientation). And again, WCAG currently doesn't
>> have the tools to flag this as a problem.

John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist
Deque Systems Inc.
john.foliot@deque.com