Re: Principle 4 - Robust (was Re: Help needed with numbering success criteria for WCAG 2.1)

On 28/06/2016 21:02, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> help me understand here.
>
> I don’t see anything much about locking orientation that is an access
> problem.
>
> if you lock it vertical —  then I can’t use the horizontal trick to make
> the screen larger — (which I always use) — but instead have to turn to zoom.
>
> But for many, turning the screen sideways zooms it a bit but not enough
> so they have to zoom anyway.    So it isnt a  show stopper like some
> things.  It just makes us introduce horizontal scrolling for some more
> people.
>

> Is there a barrier I am missing?

Yes, situations where a user can't turn the screen sideways (for
instance, because they use a tablet that's solidly mounted in one
particular orientation and attached to their powered wheelchair)...but I
see you mention it later in your email:

> One I can think of is a person With a physical disability who has his
> tablet mounted in one direction, and if he goes to a page that forces
> him in other orientation then he can’t turn it.

> But it seems to me that
> this is already true for many apps

and they are causing a problem, which WCAG currently doesn't have any
SCs to tackle it with.

> and I haven’t seen any websites that
> only work in landscape.

They're out there. For a sampling, see
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="please+turn+your+device"

Many sites currently do this sort of thing in a very primitive way (they
check the browser window/viewport width/height and, if it's not in the
"correct" ratio, they simply put a big roadblock in front of the content
until the user changes the ratio/turns the device. As noted earlier in
this thread, there are now more robust standards/techniques coming
(screen orientation API, CSS directives that lock a view into a
particular orientation, directives in progressive web app JSON manifests
that explicitly set a locked orientation). And again, WCAG currently
doesn't have the tools to flag this as a problem.

Patrick H. Lauke