Re: Headings and ARIA substitutes

On 16/06/2016 19:07, John Foliot wrote:

> While I've not actually gone and looked at the emergent work of the Low
> Vision TF (yet), I'm curious whether or not there has been any thought
> towards proposing a new Success Criteria that sought to address this
> kind of issue? Perhaps a SC that suggested (total spitballing here...)
> that headings at level 4 or higher (a.k.a. h1, h2, h3) maintain a visual
> styling that ensures that the text is at least /XX /% larger than the
> body text (??). I'd be curious to hear other's thoughts on this, as I'm
> not sure how something like that would be received, but it sort of
> sounds like what Wayne is suggesting is needed. Equally, would increased
> size alone be the proposed requirement, or would something like
> increased font-weight also meet the functional need you are describing?
> (i.e. the heading text would remain at the same size as body/paragraph
> text, but have an increased weight instead. Wayne, would that also work?)

How headings are actually marked up (whether they're marked up using
<h1>-<h6>, or <span role="heading">, etc) would currently already be
caught by a combination of 1.3.1 and 4.1.2. So I agree that the visual
aspect (with particular emphasis on low-vision, but probably also
relating to cognitive) should perhaps be a new separate SC dealing
exclusively with the visual representation of headings (regardless of
how they're structured in markup).

Patrick H. Lauke