RE: H91 changes

From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:40 PM

I don’t think the technique is suggesting to use an API tool to catch issues with the browser.  The fact is that the accessible name calculation is complex and includes things like pseudo elements so it’s very tricky.  Using the API inspection tool is to help developers confirm that what they thought is the accessible name is really the accessible name – use of this is very important.  They don’t have to use just an API inspection tool though as there are alternatives that do parse the HTML for you.  These include Chrome’s Accessibility Developer Tools and Bryan Garaventa’s Visual ARIA bookmarklet.

http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/visual-aria.htm

If the purpose is to make sure that the content gives correct results when the accessible name/description computation is performed, then I would suggest a clarification of the technique along those lines and a reference to the name/description computation specification.

I read the technique and name/description complexities didn’t come to mind at all. If it isn’t clear to me what the technique is about, then I’m concerned that it won’t be clear to content developers, many of whom do not possess our level of familiarity with assistive technology and its workings.

Thank you for your compliance.