RE: H91 changes

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:43 AM

I’d love to point to another document, but unless it is done we can’t.  We can update this in the future pretty easily.  The Mappings 1.0 document doesn’t have a simple role/name/value/state table though, so I think that there is value in this, even if we would rather have another group maintain it.

I think the table as it stands is confusing. Each operating system has its own convention for representing the role, accessible name, accessible description, state, etc., of an interactive control. Yet the table doesn’t recognize this, but nor does it say that it’s operating system specific or that it’s only an example.

The ARIA Accessibility API Mapping Guides provide this information  in full and for a range of operating systems.

-…]

I think that this is very useful for authors/evaluators who need to make sure that what they implement meets the relevant success criteria.

Content authors shouldn’t need to work at this level except to identify bugs in a user agent, operating system or screen reader. ARIA 1.1 will standardize the relationship between HTML and SVG elements and the system-level accessibility APIs; that’s the role of the HTML and SVG Accessibility API Mapping documents.

My suggestion would be to omit the table altogether, possibly with a reference to the Accessibility API Mapping Guides, which should enter Candidate Recommendation within the next month or so if the ARIA working group maintains its schedule.

Thank you for your compliance.