From: "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org<mailto:jjwhite@ets.org>>
Date: Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 15:34
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>>, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca<mailto:david100@sympatico.ca>>
Cc: "josh@interaccess.ie<mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>" <josh@interaccess.ie<mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>>, "lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>>, Patrick Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk<mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk>>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: acceptance criteria for new success criteria

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:29 PM

I think that we are but in slightly different ways. I agree that we want to have a "high degree of confidence that most experts would agree” but object to the idea of placing a specific, and impossible to measure, numerical metric on that.  I agree that we don’t want to say “ALL experts agree” (result of that would likely be no new SC) but ultimately the decision policy is going to dictate how we ultimately decide whether the criteria are met.

I’m not concerned about numerical metrics either, but strongly support the principle. I would also maintain that the requirement is still satisfied if there exist a small number of unusual cases (rarely seen in practice) on which informed evaluators would tend to disagree. In other words, the existence of “hard cases” is compatible with presumed agreement by most informed evaluators in respect of most (ordinary) cases.

Thank you for your compliance.