From: "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org<mailto:jjwhite@ets.org>>
Date: Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 11:13
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>>, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca<mailto:david100@sympatico.ca>>, "josh@interaccess.ie<mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>" <josh@interaccess.ie<mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>>
Cc: "lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>>, Patrick Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk<mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk>>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: acceptance criteria for new success criteria

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:08 AM

David: I think the concept of high inter reliability of experts is as good as we can get.

AWK: I think that the "General agreement, characterized by the absence of sustained opposition to substantial issues” actually matches the way that the group operated in practice, and continues to do so.  What we are really doing is following the WCAG and W3C process (see http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/decision-policy), and our goal is unanimity, or an absence of objections.  Whether this means that everyone actively agrees or if most people agree and the rest can live with it doesn’t really matter.

I’m concerned about the “8 of 10” since it starts to feel like voting and that hasn’t been the way that we have operated historically.

I think you’re conflating (1) how the working group reaches consensus, which as you describe, and (2) the standard of inter-rater reliability that the working group considers success criteria need to have in order to be included. The latter has nothing to do with voting – see my formulation of it earlier in this thread.

Thank you for your compliance.