From: "lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 10:19
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: acceptance criteria for new success criteria

Yup this is what I was trying to say with #2. Saying most experts will agree is fine. So long as we are clear how testable success criteria must be to be accepted.

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn<http://il.linkedin.com/in/lisaseeman/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/SeemanLisa>

---- On Tue, 31 May 2016 17:10:18 +0300 Andrew Kirkpatrick<akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>> wrote ----
Lisa,
The main item that I find missing in the acceptance criteria is testability.  You do have machine testability listed in the “where possible” part of the list, and I agree with including machine testability there, but all success criteria need to be testable as a basic acceptance criteria.

I’m differentiating between “testable” and “machine testable” in the same what that WCAG 2.0 does.  SC 1.1.1 requires alternate text on images for example.  This is testable, but not (yet) machine testable.  WCAG 2.0 says "WCAG 2.0 builds on WCAG 1.0 [WCAG10] and is designed to apply broadly to different Web technologies now and in the future, and to be testable with a combination of automated testing and human evaluation."

If the language of a success criteria will not allow an evaluator to clearly determine whether a page has passed or failed, then that SC must not be approved.

For example, if we proposed a success criteria that read “Text must not be too small to read” we would quickly dismiss that text as not testable.

You may be hitting on this with the #2 "Ensure that the conformance requirements are clear such that most experts will agree if a success criteria has been met.” but this isn’t exactly right as I believe that we can’t say “most experts” for a requirement (also, the conformance requirements are for conformance to the WCAG 2.1 document, not to individual SC).

Either way, “Success Criteria must be testable” should be in the list.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility
Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>
http://twitter.com/awkawk