Re: WCAG Agenda May 24, 2016

On 5/23/2016 4:04 PM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> Speaking of which - though probably jumping the gun here - my
> quickfire thoughts on your points:
>
> 2.5.1:
>
> "iOS and Android both have a the concept of pass-through gestures. We
> need to either explicitly allow this or disallow it as a way of
> meeting these guidelines."
>
> pass-through gestures are, to me, the equivalent of "mouse keys" ... a
> last resort, rather than an acceptable equivalent mechanism. So I'd
> lean towards explicitly disallowing these.
> "Until HTML apps gain this ability there is really no way to meet this
> requirement in complex applications without using pass-through gestures."
>
> Yes, by offering equivalent mechanisms to trigger the same actions
> (i.e. the gestures are shortcuts, but traditional focusable and
> actionable controls are also present - either all the time, or as an
> optional setting). Basically, the same requirement as for keyboard
> access.
Requiring all the functionality to be exposed visually is going to be
way too distracting (and hard to use for a VO user to use as well) and I
really don't want to have to go down the modes path again (I hate modes
for a lot of reasons).
Imagine using iOS mail if there were icons for "Mark
unread","Flag","More","Delete" after each message. Swiping through all
of those icons would be really annoying. I would love to be able to
replicate the native iOS experience in a web app with VO running but
there doesn't seem to be any way to do so - and until there is
passthrough gestures for things like these seem to be the best approach.
I do agree that these things need to be kept to the minimum and ideally
used for non-essential functionality, or functionality that is available
somewhere else (perhaps after a drill-down operation) but I'm not sure
we can prohibit them completely without running the risk of making the
UI worse for everybody.

> 2.5.4
>
> "If I have pinch(or double tap) zoom enabled then I should be able to
> meet this at any zoom level."
>
> Once you zoom out, you can't really maintain the same touch target
> size without the danger of overlapping targets. Also - speaking purely
> from a web content perspective - as an author there's no way to detect
> zoom level and to change padding or whatever on the fly, unless I'm
> missing something.
That isn't what I meant by my statement.... it was my 2nd time filling
out the survey so was a little frustrated by this time.
I was stating that, as the author, by allowing my user to zoom, the user
can zoom in enough that they will be able to create big enough touch
targets. If I don't disable zoom then I have allowed my user to be able
to meet this requirement without having to do anything.

> And, as with the "large scale (text)" discussion...the sizing needed
> to somehow be anchored on the ideal viewport / CSS reference pixel /
> assumption that a device/OS/UA will choose appropriate physical sizing
> for the reference pixel.
>
> "Requiring a 44px line spacing (which this would require) for any text
> which might include links constrains the application design too much."
>
> Interestingly, the case of inline links didn't occur to me until
> recently. the requirement doesn't necessarily mean line spacing has to
> be potentially 44px - provided that links / controls aren't vertically
> stacked (e.g. two links on two separate lines, one above the other),
> then it should be fine to have static text/content above/below an
> inline link, as long as the inline link has appropriate top/bottom
> padding (which will effectively be over the text/content above/below it).
This doesn't sound practical really does it. How can I control where the
links are in any arbitrary block of text on any device?

--

1918 <tel:+1%20415%20987%201918> | Video: james.nurthen@oracle.com