RE: regions of a page failure technique

From: Adam Solomon [mailto:adam.solomon2@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:30 AM

What do you mean by substantive? I question whether different regions of a page are required by wcag to be marked up as such. Consider a page which has multiple content regions. One of the regions of the page has descriptive text of a certain topic. Another has a gallery of pictures. Substantially different to be sure, yet if there are no visual headers I have always understood that wcag does not mandate special markup except at level AAA with headers.

They’re visually different regions in the sense that their contents are distinct, but unless presentation is being used specifically to distinguish these structural components, SC 1.3.1 does not apply, as I interpret it.

I think the original proposal here was not designed to cover this kind of case. Instead, I think it’s confined to situations in which (visual) presentation is used, and intended, to convey structural information that must also be present in the markup – in this instance, markup that distinguishes various components of the page that can be identified by ARIA landmark roles.

Of course, if the author is using layout, fonts or other techniques to distinguish the structural components then SC 1.3.1 comes into play.

Thank you for your compliance.