RE: Let's add an approved date field to Failures and Techniques

> We need a solution, if not a date field I'm all ears... how are we going to solve this in WCAG.NEXT?

Hi David, All

What I’d like to see is more “new” Success Criteria, or as you and I have discussed off-line, a new category of Best Practices that would be linked to modern technologies, while leaving other Techniques as simply “other ways” of doing things – create a “Super Technique” as it were.

For example, in the discussion around 1.3.1 I think we can all agree that using aria landmarks or HTML5 Sectioning elements would be *today’s* Best Practice, and a holistic WCAG with a new category of Best Practice would hopefully provide the additional ‘umph’ to get developers to move in that direction. In that regard, adding a visible date to the new technique would be extremely useful (it also would assist in the “technology supported” discussion).

On a related thought, while the discussion and decisioning around WCAG.next is still ongoing, I think we might perhaps also start asking ourselves if there are any Success Criteria that we may need today that isn’t coming directly from one of the 3 Task Forces currently working on that (for example David, you and I chatted about returning to the MAUR to see if there were any potentially new SC opportunities in that document). So perhaps we should contemplate a wider review like that as well.

As a strawman example, and using SC 1.3.1 as a starting point, perhaps we would look to create a SC 1.3.1.1 which would *require* aria landmarks or HTML5 Sectioning elements… or perhaps we might want to shift this notion to a 4.1.2.1 or a 4.1.3 (as all of the 4.x Success Criteria are under the banner of “Maximize compatibility with current and future user agents”). In the comments that came out of the WCAG.next discussion, Katie had suggested that a ‘new’ Success Criteria in WCAG 2.1 would be backward-ported to a WCAG 2.0 Best Practice, so that no matter which WCAG you are developing and conforming to, as a content author you have either a Requirement or a Best Practice.

In other words, let’s “modernize” WCAG in as many ways as we can, but by adding to it, not seeking to redefine or arbitrarily  enhance existing Success Criteria.

David and others, I also struggle myself to understand how/why Failure Techniques are so important to some content creators. In a simplistic view, Failures seem to be “Don’t do this” statements, whereas Techniques for Success are “You should do this (or this, or this, or this)” – and so I see the fundamental difference as being one between positive re-enforcement and negative re-enforcement, and as the guy known to state “Be the Fireman and not the Cop” I am struggling to understand how the negative re-enforcement provides value (but I leave open the possibility that it does, and I’m just not seeing it). Thanks in advance for helping me better understand this.

Cheers

JF