Re: Do icons fall under - 1.3.3 question for shapes/icons alone that are used everywhere now but were not back in 2008

On 20/04/2016 18:21, Gregg Vanderheiden RTF wrote:
> that should be covered by 1.1.1
>
>   * Icons are images
>   * and the ALT text for them should be their FUNCTION (not what they
>     look like)
>   * Pointing to them (or moving focus to them) should show the meaning

But this is not required anywhere in WCAG 2, right? And I know older
browsers used to always show alt attribute of images as a tooltip when
moving the mouse over them, but this isn't the case anymore, and
image-based icons nowadays are more likely to be implemented using CSS
background images, icon fonts, SVG anyway...so you'd really need to set
an explicit title attribute (and THEN ensure that some alternative
tooltip is also shown for keyboard-only users, as - with exception of
Microsoft Edge - still no browser deigns to show a title tooltip on
keyboard focus).

In short, a sighted user basically has to rely on the latter, some form
of additional plugin/extension, as per:

>   * A plug in AT (or other AT) can expose the label without having to
>     focus on them.

Patrick H. Lauke