Re: Straw man list for WCAG.NEXT, another proposal...

> we must keep up with changes on the Web, if we don?t we pit Web
accessibility requirements against innovation and functionality.

Yes agree, isn't that the whole point of the thread? to keep up with
changes in technology and update WCAG accordingly?

> One powerful way to achieve agility ... is for policy, legislation,
regulations and WAI WCAG to focus on authoring tool supports for
accessibility.

Yes agree the accessibility community should focus on ensuring policy,
legialation, and regulation focus or add focus on ATAG.  I'm defining "
authoring tool supports for accessibility" as equivalent to conforming to
ATAG.  Having a policy that ensure an authroing tool conforms with ATAG is
also dependent on WCAG since the tool's output has to conform with WCAG.
The W3C WAI is not the accessibility community, but a part of it.  Nothing
is nor should have been stopping the accessibility community from
encouraging policies that encourage conformance with ATAG (except perhaps
the community itself focusing on WCAG at the expense of ATAG). As example,
Facebook, Office, Docs, Blackboard, etc. should all be asked to comply
with applicable ATAG Success Criteria.  The same argument should be made
for UAAG conformance by Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, etc.  I believe the
browser has more to do with many of the WCAG Level AA and AAA requirements
than the web application.

 > We don?t need to get everyone up to speed on changes, only technically
literate developers that are responsible for authoring functions.

Yes agree the accessibility community should put the renewed focus on
conformance with ATAG and UAAG .  It should be relatively easier to focus
on the "technically literate developers", but it hasn't seen as much
progress as WCAG conformance.  Why? One reason may be because there are no
incentives or rules requiring conformance.  We seem to be in a position of
"begging" for any slight improvements we can get.  How many of your
institutions, agencies, universities, corporations, etc. even have any
policies that encourage or require conformance with ATAG and/or UAAG?  We
could start there and chain ourselves to the virtural bus. . . [this is a
refernce to the early ADAPT movement that helped start ADA].

I recommend that the Essential Components of Web Accessibility [
https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/components.php] needs another version
specifically for policy makers.  It needs to better explain the dependency
on the three and why enforcing conformance to only on one of the 3  (WCAG)
is ineffective.

Having said all this, the WCAG working group still has to and needs to
"keep up with changes on the web" exactly because ATAG and UAAG both
reference and depend on WCAG.

1. I believe we still need "interpretations" of WCAG for new devices, for
example, which of the Success Criteria should be applied to a smartwatch?
all smart watches?
2. I believe we still need "interpretations" of WCAG for new technologies,
for example, which of the Success Criteria should be adjusted or extended
to address gestures?  Should there be a gesture for all interaction
options just like WCAG says there should be for keyboard?  Why and why
not?  Ever try to use a browser based web app and do the equivalent of
keyboard tab, arrow up and down, left and right, and open/close
(expand/collapse) with gestures?  I give up and go dust off my laptop or
find a really good bluetooth keyboard for my device.

Referring to the diagram posted on the wiki
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_Next_Possible_Models/Model_5
my two examples above seem to fit in mostly with the 3 task forces of
Cognitive, Mobile, and Low Vision.  However, UAAG and ATAG need to be
added to the diagram since many of the more effective and efficient
solutions will in fact be in the browser and authoring tool, not the web
content/app. The output of the 3 task forces need to also address changes
to normative success criteria, understanding, and techniques for ATAG 2.1
and UAAG 2.1.  Otherwise WAI is not following our own foundation on
essential components and the larger accessibility community will have to
endure the ripple effects we cause.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - IBM Accessibility
ibm.com/able
facebook.com/IBMAccessibility
twitter.com/IBMAccess

From:   Jutta Treviranus <jutta.trevira@gmail.com>
To:     WCAG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc:     Jutta Treviranus <jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca>, David MacDonald
<david@can-adapt.com>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, Andrew Kirkpatrick
<akirkpat@adobe.com>, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>, Chaals McCathie
Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date:   04/09/2016 07:35 AM
Subject:        Re: Straw man list for WCAG.NEXT, another proposal...

Hi all,
I want to re-emphasize another strategy...

>> From: David MacDonald [mailto:david@can-adapt.com]
>
>> I *don't* think we should be saying we'll have 2 or 3 new versions of
WCAG in the next 3 years...
>> it is incredibly expensive and time consuming for stakeholders to
update
>> policy, legislation, and their web sites every year?

David makes a good point, however, we must keep up with changes on the
Web, if we don?t we pit Web accessibility requirements against innovation
and functionality. If anyone requires innovation it is people who
currently experience barriers to using the Web, especially people we
didn?t consider in formulating the last two versions of WCAG.

One powerful way to achieve agility without unsupportable ripple effects
throughout the ecosystem is for policy, legislation, regulations and WAI
WCAG to focus on authoring tool supports for accessibility. Regulators
would  require that authoring tools support accessible authoring and
require employers to provide authoring tools that support accessible
authoring. This reduces the load on public regulators, means that every
Web author does not need to become technically literate in the specifics
of accessible code, and requires compliance by a group that is also
creating new functions so they think about accessibility at the time of
innovation.

This also reduces the barriers to responsive change in requirements. The
change only needs to reach the developers of authoring tools (albeit
authoring functions appear in many forms but fewer than there are Web
authors). We don?t need to get everyone up to speed on changes, only
technically literate developers that are responsible for authoring
functions.

The other issue this addresses is that authoring tools are currently a
huge impediment to accessible authoring. Anyone motivated enough to try to
make their Web content accessible has to fight with the tools and find
tricks and hacks that are not part of the standard workflow.

Regarding ripple effects, think about the impact of any function to
support accessibility in a popular authoring tool such as Facebook, Word,
or Blackboard ? countless authors who may have no idea about any of the
technical details of WCAG will unconsciously comply as part of the natural
workflow.

Jutta

Jutta Treviranus
Director, Inclusive Design Research Centre
OCAD University