Re: 1.3.1 question

Hmmm

actually, you can document a failure if there is a fail — at any point in time.   A fail is like a technique.

Failures  (full name is    common failure  )  is
something that ALWAYS fails the SC as written
is common - and therefore worth documenting.

failures never modify WCAG - they just document what is a failure  (ALWAYS a failure on all content)
We can add failures at any time we see one
we have to remove failures if things change and they are no longer ALWAYS a failure (or because we find times when they would not be a fail)

gregg