Re: 1.3.1 question

​As per my first email in this thread, ​most of us agree that WCAG as
currently written can't move the goal posts very easily as new great
accessible technologies like ARIA are invented, for sites that previously
met WCAG.

But I think Paul's fresh eyes do point out something I've thought about for
a while as we do requirements gathering for WCAG NEXT. And perhaps even
something we can do now...

WCAG 2 was designed to be every green. The success criteria were carefully
written in order to ensure that as new technologies were invented, that
they could be incorporated into WCAG. For the most part that has happened.
We created Silverlight techniques, WAI ARIA techniques, and HTML5
techniques etc.  none of which were mature when WCAG2 was created.
However, our failure techniques have not kept pace with these new ways of
doing things because we didn't want to create a situation where an old site
that met WCAG no longer meets WCAG because a new failure was introduc

Naturally we want people to use the new technologies where there was no
previous good solution. For instance, on new web sites
- No page that has visually distinct headers, footers, Nav bars, main
content, and asides should be without an ACCESSIBLE NAME  (and/or
ACCESSIBLE DESCRIPTION) for those sections.
- No link text should have an ambiguous ACCESSIBLE NAME  (or ACCESSIBLE
DESCRIPTION), so the days of click here, read more, showing up in links
lists should be a thing of the past.

HTML5 and WAI ARIA have solved these problems with new HTML elements,
roles, aria-label, aria-labelledby etc...

So how can we ensure that new sites do take advantages of these new ways to
solve old problems that previously were just hacked, or mostly not done at
all?

I'd like to brainstorm a proposal. What if we create a date field on
failure techniques? Agencies, legislature, and governments can use these
date fields to determine if a certain failure is applicable based on when
the content was created. The government of Ontario is a precident for this.
They have a date on the AODA, because they understand that solvent
companies create new web sites every few years. So they require the new
sites meet WCAG. if we had date fields on our  new failures, then if the
site was built after the failure was created it would fail SC 1.3.1 if
there wansn't an ACCEISBLE NAME or DESCRIPTION on a section of  a page, or
could fail that LEARN MORE link that didn't reference the description
heading or provide an aria-label or title etc...

What do you think... could it work for WCAG NEXT, or even this version.?