Re: 1.3.1 question

Hi All,

I just want to point out one import part of that Success Criteria, and that
is the final 5 words of that SC: "...or are available in text."

While I completely understand that the desire to ensure that "the web is as
accessible as it can be" is a strong motivator, we must also be careful to
not try and read more into what the current success criteria says, or
insist on content authors using technologies that weren't even available
when WCAG 2.0 was released. That is revisionist history, and it can cause
serious legal concerns for large companies and corporations that are
managing 100's of thousands of web documents. A web page that was
conformant to WCAG 2.0 in 2009 *MUST *also be conformant today: that is
simply how technical standards work. That's today's Modern Web as well.

While I would agree that using ARIA or HTML5 landmarks is certainly a Best
Practice, and I would take every opportunity to encourage a developer to
use those techniques, WCAG 2.0 cannot become some form of bully stick to
force developers into retroactively changing legacy content that would be
"non-conformant" today simply because a SME wants to enforce a Best
Practice that wasn't even available when WCAG 2.0 was finalized. That is
both dishonest and problematic.

For Example, WCAG 2.0 SC 1.3.1 also lists as a possible Technique for
Success Technique #G117 (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G117.html)
which does not take advantage of either ARIA or HTML5 landmark roles.

Another way of meeting this Success Criteria (and one that was used quite
extensively when WCAG 2.0 was first released) was through the use of @title
and proper heading structure:

  <h2>Elsewhere On This Site</h2>
   <ul>
     <li>Here</li>
     <li>There</li>
     <li>Somewhere Else</li>
  </ul>

I don't think anyone can mount a credible argument that suggests that the
above code sample DOES NOT meet the intent of SC 1.3.1, a point that
Technique #G115 makes quite clear:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2016/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20160105/G115

Finally, the Success Criteria itself explicitly states the following: "...when
technologies support programmatic relationships, it is *strongly encouraged*
that information and relationships be programmatically determined rather
than described in text." (
https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20160317/content-structure-separation-programmatic.html
)

Not *MUST*, but *Strongly Encouraged*. I think that it is important that we
not overstep the existing boundaries that WCAG has in place, simply in the
zeal of attempting to enforce what are clearly Best Practices, but NOT
mandated Requirements of WCAG 2.0, and any attendant laws
and legislation that uses WCAG 2.0 as its foundation.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Consultant