From: Andrew Kirkpatrick
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2016 4:32 PM
To: WCAG
Subject: 1.3.1 question

Jon raised a question in response to a tweet from Paul Adam and we would like to get the group’s opinions.

The issue is #171 (https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/171) and speaks to the need to follow techniques such as ARIA11 (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/ARIA11.html) to mark regions of a page.

The discussion so far is that authors might accomplish this with HTML5 elements (e.g. Header, footer, etc) or using ARIA landmark roles  (e.g. Navigation, contentinfo, main).

SC 1.3.1 reads:
Info and Relationships: Information, structure, and relationships conveyed through presentation can be programmatically determined or are available in text.

What do people think?  For a site like http://google.com – does this page fail 1.3.1 because it doesn’t mark the header and footer areas?

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick