From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2015 4:26 PM
To: Dick
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org
Subject: Re: Structure vs. Value and Contradictory Criteria

On Oct 23, 2015, at 1:00 AM, Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com<mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com>> wrote:
​evan1.3.1 is a start, but it is based on only one model of flexibility, the DOM-API-AT model of accessibility support.

1.3.1 makes no reference to the DOM model and is completely technology independent.

It requires all that you are looking for with regard to deterministic data about structure.  As for content - that is in 1.1.1.

ASIDE  NOT SPECIFIC TO THIS EMAIL
I am getting a bit tired of comments saying that WCAG WG didn’t understand mobile or touch screens etc.     We did.   We knew more about them and had been doing research on them for a decade.   The iPhone came out and there were no surprises in any of the overall interface technologies or techniques.  There were a few innovations in implementations but they only emphasized the robustness and importance of the SC.   And the iPhone was out before WCAG was completed and all of the provisions were looked at from the context of each new mobile technology as it came out.

BACK TO THIS TOPIC

1.3.1 is just as relevant as it was then and still works just as well.    It is only when other people put interpretations on what it means that are narrower than what 1.3.1 actually says that is looks narrower.

ALSO - Some of the discussion seems so look to 1.3.1 to provide what 1.1.1 provides.
 You should always look at   1.1.1 and 1.3.1 and 4.1.2  together when evaluating the question of making information programmatically determinable so that it can be re-presented as the user needs.

Thanks for your ear

gregg

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@raisingthefloor.org<mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org>