Re: Structure vs. Value and Contradictory Criteria

​1.3.1 is a start, but it is based on only one model of flexibility, the
DOM-API-AT model of accessibility support.  The idea that deterministic
data could be reformatted and displayed within the user agent was not
envisioned by 1.3.1.  The job today is to identify the structures that can
support these transformations with user agent support and of course,
assertive technology extensions of the user agent.  ​

At the time WCAG 2.0 was approved the iPhone was a little over a year old.
When 1.3.1 was proposed the iPhone did not exist.  WCAG WG didn't really
understand just how flexible web data could be. But, we don't live in 2008
now.  We live in an era where content authoring techniques have be
established that enable extreme flexibility of presentation.  We know that
content can be authored that is efficient, does not compromise artistic
freedom, and can support dramatic transformations of presentation.  We can
do a lot more with structural authoring criteria then we could imagine in
2008.

No, 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 don't do it any more.  Their scope is too narrow. We
know that web developers can develop much more accessible content today by
exploiting programmatically deterministic features of HTML 5 and CSS 3.
Other technologies will follow if they want to survive the mobile
revolution. The industry proved they could support visual flexibility
presentation by enabling flexible content for normal readers on mobile
devices. It is time to define content success criteria that acknowledge the
change in authoring technology.

Because these new criteria would focus of structural flexibility rather
than specific typographic metric values, there is little likelihood that
they would ever conflict with other criteria.  After all, we will not pick
specific values that help one group and hurt another because flexibility
will enable choice of values by users.