Re: Level AA exceptions

Hi Phil

Being Essential was indeed one of the factors.
However essential was not the dividing line between A and AA.   There are AA level provisions that are essential as well.    In fact there are AAA level provisions that are essential but that are in Level AAA because it was not possible to meet them for all web sites and types of content that the SC would apply.   So Essential is not a criteria by itself for an SC being in any level.    None of the items in the list was determinant for level A or AA provisions.

How were the levels decided for each SC?
As the Understanding WCAG 2.0 doc says - it was based on many factors - some of which are listed below.

All of these factors in the list were considered by the working group in deciding which level something went into.  There was never one factor.   And there is no formula.  The level the SC ended up in was the level that the group reached consensus on for that provision -  given the different considerations below and more.  The list below are the ones identified in asking the group what was considered.    But it is not likely that is is exhaustive.

So the answer to  “why was a particular SC placed in level A or AA or AAA?”  is:
    Because it was the consensus of the Working Group that it be placed there.
And the answer to  “Bhat did they consider in placing the provision there?”  is:
  The list in Understanding WCAG 2.0 gives the major considerations we identified but there are likely others as well. These are the ones the working group identified in answering this question.

So what is the difference between A  and AA and AAA.  Think of them as a measure of accessibility as in    1 inch  2 inches and 3 inches.   each one is longer than the one  before.     A is so accessible. AA is more accessible and AAA is still more accessible.       People can decide how long (inches ) is long enough for a nail for example in order to hold up a beam.     Or how accessible something has to be in order to meet a minimum accessible standard.      Most have decided that A was not enough and that AA should be required by looking at what was in A and AA.    The working group recommended against requiring AAA for all content because there are some provisions there than cannot be applied to all content.  And there are other factors for others that put them in this category.   But there are places that require AAA for some parts of a site - or for some types of content - where they could apply there.   And there are those who reach AAA because they can for their site and they want to go further than Level AA.

Hope this helps.

(PS this is from my personal knowledge and memory of the working group and the proceedings - and is not an official statement of the working group)
(PPS  the PS  is my standard disclaimer for anything that is from my recollection and understanding and not reviewed and vetted by the working group current and past).

gregg

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@raisingthefloor.org