Re: Usability, UCD, UX, or '"Usable Accessibility'" TF and Extension

Thanks for the excellent post.

This definition of accessibility is also one of the best I have seen.
> "'Accessible' means a person with a disability is afforded the opportunity to acquire the same information, engage in the same interactions, and enjoy the same services as a person without a disability in an equally effective and equally integrated manner, with substantially equivalent ease of use. The person with a disability must be able to obtain the information as fully, equally and independently as a person without a disability. Although this might not result in identical ease of use compared to that of persons without disabilities, it still must ensure equal opportunity to the educational benefits and opportunities afforded by the technology and equal treatment in the use of such technology. "

The topic of Usability and Accessibility is a tricky one.   When working on WCAG 2.0 we had a long discussion of this early on.

Some thoughts and comments out of those discussions - just to toss them into the ring here

If a page is not usable by those without disabilities — doing the “accessible” things to it will almost always result in a page that is accessible and unusable to both people with disabilities and those without.
(Sometimes it makes the page accessible and usable to both— but not usually(
In working on WCAG 2.0 - our charge was to determine what had to be done to pages in order to “level the playing field”.  That is, to make the page as accessible (see definition above) as is technically possible and practical.
In doing this we had to work to consensus (since WCAG 2.0 is a consensus standard).  It was pointed out to us early on that Usability went beyond accessibility, and that there was no requirement anywhere that products be usable.  Only that they not be less usable by people with disabilities than they were to people without disabilities.
We found that many times a ‘minor’ usability problem for those without disabilities became a major usability problem (and thus an accessibility issue) for people when they had one or another type of disability.  In these cases we labeled them accessibility issues and they were in scope.
Sometime we found that pages were equally unusable by everyone - with and without disabilities.  But since there was no major difference (everyone was unable) - this was found to not be in scope.
So for those that say “you can meet WCAG 2.0 and still have an unusable page”  - they are correct.
(it is also true that you can meet WCAG 2.0 and still have accessibility issues on the page.   It is stated clearly in the WCAG 2.0 preamble that "even content that conforms at the highest level (AAA) will not be accessible to individuals with all types, degrees, or combinations of disability, particularly in the cognitive language and learning areas.” )
A lot of usability is matching the interface to the content and the task. It is hard to make things usable by following rules.  In most usability guidelines are not black and white so it isn't something you can say you must do this and if you do X you can check this off as being done.

No conclusion. These are just thoughts to ponder as we keep exploring and discussing this area.

QUOTES FROM WCAG
"Following these guidelines will make content accessible to a wider range of people with disabilities, including blindness and low vision, deafness and hearing loss, learning disabilities, cognitive limitations, limited movement, speech disabilities, photosensitivity and combinations of these. Following these guidelines will also often make your Web content more usable to users in general.”
"Note that even content that conforms at the highest level (AAA) will not be accessible to individuals with all types, degrees, or combinations of disability, particularly in the cognitive language and learning areas. Authors are encouraged to consider the full range of techniques, including the advisory techniques, as well as to seek relevant advice about current best practice to ensure that Web content is accessible, as far as possible, to this community. Metadata <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/appendixC.html#understanding-metadata> may assist users in finding content most suitable for their needs."

gregg

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@raisingthefloor.org