Re: Usability, UCD, UX, or '"Usable Accessibility'" TF and Extension

Hi Laura,

Just a minor clarification regarding the related EOWG resource inline:

On 4.7.2015 17:39, Laura Carlson wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Background:
>
> Over the years a number [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6] [7], [8], [9] of
> studies and articles have criticized WCAG for having an ambiguous
> relationship with usability, not having a framework that includes
> usability, or not having guidelines on usability best practices etc. I
> reviewed two of the studies [10] [11] for the WCAG Issues Sorted Page
> [12] and there does seem to be a usability theme.
>
> For instance the study, "Forcing Standardization or Accommodating
> Diversity? A Framework for Applying the WCAG in the Real World" [3],
> cites the WCAG 1.0 definition of accessible [13]:
>
> "Content is accessible when it may be used by someone with a disability."
>
> The study then argues that the test for whether a Web site is
> accessible is if people with disabilities can use it, not whether it
> conforms to guidelines. The study concludes that WAI should include
> usability within its remit and future versions of WCAG should include
> guidelines on best practices for usability.
>
> WCAG 2.0 does not define accessibility [14]. Regarding usability,
> Understanding WCAG 2.0 specifically states [15]:
>
> "There are many general usability guidelines that make content more
> usable by all people, including those with disabilities. However, in
> WCAG 2.0, we only include those guidelines that address problems
> particular to people with disabilities. This includes issues that
> block access or interfere with access to the Web more severely for
> people with disabilities."
>
> WAI's Education and Outreach Working Group has explored the
> relationship between accessibility and usability in a number of drafts
> and documents to encourage increased communication and coordination
> between the two areas as well as promoting the benefits of involving
> users with disabilities to identify usability issues that are not
> discovered by conformance evaluation alone. Some of those documents
> are:
>
> * [Draft] Web Accessibility and Usability  [16]
> * [Editors Draft] Web Accessibility and Usability Working Together [17]

These two are actually the same resource, just different drafts used
during development. The latest version of both these is here:
  - http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/usable

We will look to improve the cross-references in these outdated drafts.

Meanwhile, we are looking to expand this resource to also explain the
term "inclusion", which also tends to be discussed in this context:
  - http://w3c.github.io/wai-inclusion/

Note that this resource obviously does not attempt to override or to
change the scope of WCAG in any way. The sole purpose is to explain some
terms and how they interrelate, as they are sometimes confused. Here is
our initial draft requirements analysis for this updating:
  -
https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Accessibility_and_Inclusive_Design/Requirements_Analysis

We would be delighted to learn more about how this resource could
possibly address related concerns observed by WCAG WG and others.

Regards,
   Shadi