From: CAE-Vanderhe [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:05 PM
To: Mike Elledge
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org
Subject: Re: Enabling Zoom on Mobile Devices

the width does not determine the enlargement.

with responsive design you can have a fixed width and be able to enlarge the content 300% or more.

Also, please note that the normal ZOOM feature in all browsers is sufficient to meet this requirement.   It is therefore virtually impossible today to not meet this SC unless you either

  1.  find some way to shrink your text to the same degree that someone zooms the browser  so that it doesn’t change size as you zoom’
  2.  you create content that can ONLY be viewed by a certain browser and that browser has no zoom.

The problems being cited in the other posts are assuming things that are not required by WCAG.

Gregg