Re: Should PDF documents have headers and footers on every page?

Hi Allen

Allen's comment:
>>"Page numbers and such should be in the linear order they would be
presented visually. "

Are you saying that you disagree with PDF/UA that they should be artifacts,
and that Adobe PDFMaker has it wrong when it marks them as artifacts and
that Microsoft has it wrong in its PDF engine to mark it as an artifact,
and the PAC PDF evaluation tool has it wrong to mark tagged footers as
errors and that WCAG technique PDF 14 has it wrong in example 4 to mark
them as artifacts? I think it would be an incredibly disruptive to the
current PDF accessibility ecosystem if we start requiring exposure of
headers and footers when it is established in software, standards, and best
practice advice.

Allen's comment:
>>Others favor putting them in another logical order for screen reader
output use, however, as a long long time screen reader user myself I think
this is overdoing it, e.g. I understand pages and page numbering and page
titling just fine and don’t need another reading order created “just for
me”.

David response:
Perhaps you are speaking of the SSB Bart webinar example of exposing the
page number and reordering them at the top of the page. If so, I would
agree. My concern is that a screen reader user can press Control+Shift+N to
go to page 10, and she ACTUALLY lands on page 10 (as indicated in the
footer) and not some other page because the programmatic numbering is out
of sync with the footers. So WCAG technique PDF14 is not advocating for
"special" treatment for screen reader users, it is just ensuring that
anybody, especially people with cognitive disabilities and those using
assistive technology can actually go to the page that the author specified
in the footer, and know what page they are on.

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902