Re: Recommendation to move WCAG Techniques out of TR, concerned about Failure Techniques loosing authority

Hmmm

I see lots of problems in trying to do this —  and I’m still not sure I understand what the problems of the current system are.

RE Problems

The techniques are linked to WCAG (which can’t be changed) so that is a problem.

But even if you can reach in and change the links there — the techniques also crosslink to many other documents — and not just search engines.  These will all break everywhere.  And many of these documents cannot be changed because they are publications and archival in nature.   Breaking all the literature in the field that points to the techniques is not something that should be done except if not possible to avoid.

One COULD wire up the server to cause all references to TR to forward to another location but
I think this might violate practice
and if going to TR takes you to a document- I think that document needs to follow TR rules no matter where it is stored.

Finally,  the “500 pages” are all part of a doc to which you can make a single change,  and then “push a button” and it will rebuild all the pages and links between all the docs automatically.   This is complicated if there is an error but then that should be fixed anyway.

If you change the process— you will need to build all new mechanisms to crosslink all the docs each time you add a technique etc.  - and to forward all links from WCAG  — and from all other docs  - and….
And again I’m not sure that if you keep the TR links alive (which you will need to to not break everything) I think the TR publishing rules would still have to apply even if you put the doc in another filespace.

So I think it is much more complicated than I think has been considered.

And I still don’t understand what  “delays” and “overhead” are that are so important or large that we are considering such complications to avoid?   There are certainly no barriers I know of to publishing new versions each month if one would like to.

What were the original delays referred to?  And how long were they?

And what are the complications that would be worse than having to maintain all of the cross-links by hand and undoing the other problems introduced in the change?

(I do wonder if we could change it from XML to HTML but it would probably mean a lot of complicated reprogramming).

Thanks

gregg

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@raisingthefloor.org <mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org>