Re: H86: Providing text alternatives for ASCII art, emoticons, and leetspeak

On 24 April 2015 at 15:16, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
wrote:

> Steve, one point of confusion I have always had with figure and figcaption
> is what setting an accessible name calculation does to the figures
> contents..  The accessible name for the figure and the figcaption can and
> may often be two separate things and thus my assumption is that setting an
> accessible name does not mask the contents with the figure or figcaption.
> This is desirable because caption is often not the text alternative for a
> figure.  In addition, some figures are code examples and setting an
> accessibility name should not override the text inside the figure – much in
> the same way that the accessible name for region does not override the
> regions content.  I suspect role also places into this calculation.

by default the accessible name for a <figure> is derived from the
figcaption content, this does not override content as default role for
figure is group.
In firefox and chrome (at least) figcaption is exposed with an IA2 caption
role (but don't know of any AT that currently indicate it as such.)

--

Regards

SteveF