From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 9:50 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: H86: Providing text alternatives for ASCII art, emoticons, and leetspeak

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H86.html

suggest adding ARIA-fied example (from html5 spec)

<figure role="img" aria-labelledby="fish-caption"
   <pre>
   o           .'`/
     '      /  (
   O    .-'` ` `'-._      .')
      _/ (o)        '.  .' /
      )       )))     ><  <
      `\  |_\      _.'  '. \
        '-._  _ .-'       '.)
    jgs     `\__\
   </pre>
   <figcaption id="fish-caption">
    <cite>Joan G. Stark, "fish"</cite>.
    October 1997. ASCII on electrons. 28×8.
   </figcaption>
   </figure>

Also question the use of <abbr> in this technique:
<abbr title="Austin Rocks">Au5t1N r0xx0rz</abbr>
--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>