RE: Proposed mobile techniques for SC 3.1

Many great points Gregg.

I think that one of the points that you raise might be solved if the second bullet was reworded as something like:

-          Ensuring touch access control for all functionality that is not already operable by physical controls on the device.
Maybe the second part of this could be written as an exception to the original simple requirement – but a single sentence may be the most direct way to express things.

I think that your offer of some words to clarify the need for keyboard control on all touchscreen devices would be very useful. In my limited experience I have found that people unfamiliar with WCAG 2.0 always interpret keyboard control in the context of:

-          either a keyboard on the device;

-          or situations where a conventional keyboard can be attached to the device;

-          and almost never in terms of other assistive technologies capable of generating keystroke input.
I’ve even seen hints of this confusion in some WCAG discussion threads!

The WCAG 2.0 term “keyboard interface” can also mislead engineers who may have come from a hardware background as they tend to immediately think in terms of things like Bluetooth, RF, PS/2, etc..

Some helpful explanatory words might ensure that nobody can misinterpret the intent of this important requirement.

Best regards

Mike