From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: 10 April 2015 09:32
To: WCAG (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org)
Subject: Re: Proposed mobile techniques for SC 3.2

3.2 Touch Target Size and Spacing

 *   Providing adequate touch target size / Ensuring that touch targets are large enough to touch accurately without magnification
 *   Provide adequate spacing between touch targets

AC: For these two, I think the first is far more important.  Using large targets is well established as helpful for everyone (Fiitt's law), and whilst I can see having space between targets being helpful, it is much harder to do on smaller screens. (Thinking of the standard 'four buttons in a row' interface on many phone apps.)

To me that indicates that the first should be sufficient, and the second advisory. However, in a world of many devices and relative pixels sizing, I'm not sure how you would define sufficient? I.e. How big is enough?

In relation to success criteria, it isn't clear from the TF note which WCAG2 SC these apply to, it points to there being a gap, probably under WCAG2 2.4?

Kind regards,

-Alastair