Re: Placeholder behavior

On 6 October 2014 20:57, Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Steve. I do recall that at one point the name computation algorithm
> explicitly listed 'placeholder'  at about the same level as the title I
> think.

Note the ARIA name computation algorithm is undergoing an update, still in
early stages [1]. References to technology specific attributes will not be
part of the core algorithm, how and what sources the accessible name is
derived from in HTML (for example) will be within the HTML implementation
spec

But just before sending that last email, I noted the placeholder is no
> longer listed explicitly in 5.2.7. So does it still serve as an accessible
> name?

yes, see above

> Ref http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles
>  And the point I am making is JAWS / NVDA do pick it up even when the
> placeholder is not visible  ... after data is entered.

right,  removal of the placeholder text display does not remove it from the
placeholder attribute in the DOM or from the accName property in MSAA/Ia2
etc.

[1] http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/accessiblename/accName.html
[2]
http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/html-aam/html-aam.html#accessible-name-and-description-calculation