 Subject: RE: LC-2961 - ARIA 7 Example 1
 To: "Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
 Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2014, 12:37 PM

 [Sailesh wrote] I suppose
 most VI users too will like to identify the link by the
 linked text and have the contextual text available as  its
 description. Else there will be a disconnect in its identity
 for sighted v/s non-sighted folks.
 I believe
 use of aria-describedby in such a situation is better.

 Your point regarding
 aria-describedby is perhaps a better solution -- from what
 you say it sounds like you may be in favor of removing
 example 1.  I suppose my example could have been better.
 The example from ARIA 7 is actually

 <h2 id="headline">Storms hit
 east coast</h2>

 have struck the east coast, causing flooding in many coastal
 towns.
    <a
 href="news.html"
 aria-labelledby="headline">Read
 more...</a></p>

 Does your opinion remain the same for the
 example above?  If so, it sounds like an aria-describedby
 technique might be helpful.  First though we need to
 determine whether we should keep or remove example #1 from
 ARIA 7.  If we choose to remove it, it may be helpful to
 create a 2nd example similar to example 2 that also
 references the text within the link.

 Regarding a new technique, we'd have to
 figure out a testable way to help people understand when
 aria-labelledby should be used versus aria-labelledby for
 indicating link purpose.

 Jonathan

 sighted user can make out the context of the linked text
 'Read more'
 but is unlikely to
 identify the link by the SPAN text id=s1.
 suppose most VI users too will like to identify the link by
 the linked text and have the contextual text available as
 its description.
 Else there will be a
 disconnect in its identity for sighted v/s non-sighted
 folks.
 I believe use of aria-describedby in
 such a situation is better.
 Thanks,
 Sailesh

 On 10/1/14, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
 wrote:
 > I ran a quick test of
 aria-labelledby on links and text input with
 > Microsoft's Speech Recognition on
 Windows 7 and it did not appear to

 focus the field/activate the link associated with the spoken
 text via
 > aria-labelledby.  Direct
 voice access was successful when voicing the
 > link text.

 id="s1"> House Hunting</span>
 >        <a
 aria-labelledby="s1" href="http://www.w3.org">Read