Getting Screen Readers to Pronounce Acronyms Correctly

From: Mike Elledge <melledge@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:21:36 -0700
To: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi All--

Ran across this issue recently and wasn't sure how to resolve it. JAWS (may also be true for NVDA) will mis-pronounce acronyms, and I'm wondering how best to address it.

For example, the letters "IT" are pronounced as "it" rather than "eye tee", even if identified as an abbreviation. One way to address this is to put a space between the letters, "I" <space> "T", so that the letters are pronounced separately, however it looks odd visually. Is the only recourse to move the letters together using CSS? Or is there another solution?

Mike