Re: Usefulness of language annotations

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:33:43 -0400
To: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>
Cc: Christophe Strobbe <strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de>, W3C WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Jens O. Meiert writes:
> It’s unfortunate that all feedback so far has been… reflexive, and
> then evasive. I believe there are many problems with that, if not to
> use discussions to clarify guidelines. I don’t follow the list as
> closely anymore, however, to tell whether this is incidental or a
> fundamental problem.

That may be your interpretation, but I cannot agree. My interpretation
is that we've provided substantive reasons. I'm sorry you think they're
"reflexive and evaisive." Might it be that your characterizations are
based on your own value judgements alone?

I'm sorry, but a TTS engine speaking German as though it were English is
unacceptable. Only inline lang can solve the problem reliably. To me
that matters, even if the words on screen look no different.

So, go ahead and go off spec if you think you must. But, that's on your
head alone. You can't blame us for that.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net