Re: SC failure for using pixel font size

Jon wrote:

> SC 1.4.4 allows for user agent zoom to compensate for use of pixel.

In reality, modern browsers do zoom fonts in pixels even if you don't
use complete zoom. Only containers in absolute units would remain unchanged.

> the only time use of pixels would fail this SC is if it wasn't
> accessibility supported by the technology stack.

This is an interesting point. Since "accessibility supported" is defined
as "compatible with AT that users use", I think that SC 1.4.4 should
take into account the reality that most low vision users who rely on
browser's zoom don't use the "full zoom" option, but text-only increase.

Of course we can argue that they could simply switch to use full zoom,
but this seems to be more a weak justification of a bad practice than a
real solution to the problem. The technology completely allows us to
achieve a good result with almost no effort and without forcing the user
to use a particular setting that creates a very bad usability.

In any case, normally the use of absolute units is only problematic in
-some- containers and certain positioning properties, but not for the
text size.

Regards,
Ramón.