RE: SC failure for data without caption

From: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:34:35 -0400
To: Aurélien Levy <aurelien.levy@temesis.com>, WCAG WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Ø  Do you consider having a data table without a caption as a WCAG success
criteria failure ?

No

Ø  but has I read it, it doesn't always ask for caption but only when
caption are provided in the presentation (cf description of the technique)

Yes, if there is a visual caption and it doesn’t use the caption element or
equivalent then it could be considered a failure under SC 1.3.1.

Jonathan

Do you consider having a data table without a caption as a WCAG success
criteria failure ?

There is the h39 technique
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/H39 related to 1.3.1
but has I read it, it doesn't always ask for caption but only when caption
are provided in the presentation (cf description of the technique)

And you what do you think ?

Regards,

--

Aurélien Levy