W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > July to September 2014

RE: Agenda for 8th July 2014 WCAG call

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bailey@Access-Board.gov>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 12:44:44 +0000
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, 'Michael Cooper' <cooper@w3.org>
CC: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, 'Andrew Kirkpatrick' <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Message-ID: <9e5b50e6283c46bc85ee82bdf0b87bc6@BL2PR08MB420.namprd08.prod.outlook.com>
RSSagent did not respond to the "make minutes" command after the first one (which we did early when people were having connectivity problems).  Follows is the text stream from IRC for the last 15 minutes or so, copy/paste from my IRC client.  Micheal, I am hoping you can remediate?  I left all my poor spelling in...



bbailey

Joshue: important infomation about techniques


MichaelC<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/MichaelC,isnick>

rrsagent, make minutes


RRSAgent<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/RRSAgent,isnick>

I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/07/08-wai-wcag-minutes.html MichaelC


bbailey

Proposal WG make at last meeting two weeks ago


bbailey

MC: adding expanded disclaimer to top of each technique page


|<--

Ryladog has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)


bbailey

AWK: reads comments from surveys


bbailey

lgr (from survey): I won't block this but feel that our experience with adding boilerplate of this type to the beginnings of pages and sections is not that people are more likely to read it (they still skip over it), but that they have a harder time finding the information about the technique itself. I'm fine with this wording, but would rather see it replace the paragraph at the bottom,...


bbailey

...instead of being added at the top.


bbailey

tim boladn: agree with putting a link to explanatory text at the bottom


jon_avila<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/jon_avila,isnick>

+1


bbailey

bruce: I still prefer having the disclaimer stay at the bottom. We can't make people read, and putting it at the top does not change that. But this a preference, not something I cannot live with.


bbailey

MC: agrees, but thinks EO will not agree


bbailey

LGR: need to decide


bbailey

Joshue: does not like lots of stuff at top


David<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/David,isnick>

+1 to all our thoughts


bbailey

Wording is good, but leads to text blindness


bbailey

mc: outlines mechanism to resolve


bbailey

mc: needs to coordinate through director (judy)


bbailey

mc: other option is to accept for now, take up next round if we like


bbailey

mc: push back now will delay publication


Joshue<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Joshue,isnick>

zakim, queue?


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

I see no one on the speaker queue


bbailey

DM: trying to take back preliminary approval will be awkward


Joshue<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Joshue,isnick>

+q


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

sees Joshue on the speaker queue


bbailey

awk: reminds us that we already had joint meeting on this


bbailey

mc: we met informally, we did not really object


Joshue<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Joshue,isnick>

ack me


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

sees no one on the speaker queue


bbailey

mc: david metaphor cuts both ways


bbailey

it may be harder to retract edit than to retract concensus


bbailey

mc: group needs to decide


bbailey

mc: may be better opportunity to revisit as significant reorganize is anticipated


bbailey

mc: question of net benefit depends who you ask


bbailey

mc: yes, extra text is a burden


bbailey

mc: but EO would probably argue that ommiting text has larger cost


bbailey

joshue: all folks on call made similar comments


bbailey

awk: if we want to keep at bottom, can we defer to judy?


bbailey

mc: doesn't think judy will want to decide, she will want concensus from both groups


bbailey

joshue: pushing back publication more harmful than top of pages being text heavy


bbailey

awk: can we just delay this change rather than delay publication?


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-James_Nurthen


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Sailesh_Panchang


|<--

AWK has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)


bbailey

mc: attempts to publish without this resolved is likely to create work, especially for chairs


bbailey

joshue: comes down to least bad


<--|

Sailesh has left #wai-wcag<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/%23wai-wcag>


jamesn<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/jamesn,isnick>

have to go


|<--

Kathy has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Client closed connection)


bbailey

joshue: we all agree with text, concern is if added boiler plate is net gain


bbailey

mc: is there a net cost?


bbailey

mc: Worked to keep paragraph short. Cost of keeping is low.


bbailey

mc: Cost of fighting is high (delays publication).


|<--

jon_avila has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)


bbailey

mc: Could also use added boiler plate as additional motivation to revisit overall formating.


|<--

wilhelm has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Client closed connection)


bbailey

joshue: New boiler plate at top seems less disruptive than working on this more.


bbailey

joshue: Seems to be a bit of a patch, need to revisit whole approach of document.


bbailey

aside to reconfirm that w3 site is having issues...


bbailey

mc: Construction work at MIT !


bbailey

mc: MIT larger IT folks deny there is a problem


bbailey

RESOLUTION: EO proposal for LC-2895 and Updated Technique July 9th 2014


shadi<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/shadi,isnick>

the server is slow - systems people working on it


bbailey

Chairs asked to convey WG member concerns.


bbailey

rss agent, make minutes


bbailey

rssagent, make minutes


Loretta<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Loretta,isnick>

I need to go, Bye!


bbailey

micheal help me close out


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Loretta


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Joshue


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Andrew_Kirkpatrick


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-shadi


|<--

jamesn has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Client closed connection)


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Kenny


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-jon_avila


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Katie_Haritos-Shea


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-David_MacDonald


Zakim<irc://irc.w3.org:6665/Zakim,isnick>

-Cooper


|<--

shadi has left irc.w3.org:6665 (Client closed connection)


bbailey

RESOLUTION: Accept EO proposal for LC-2895 and Updated Technique July 9th 2014


bbailey

rssagent, make minutes
Received on Wednesday, 9 July 2014 12:45:18 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 16 January 2018 15:34:15 UTC