Re: SC failure for opening new window without prior notice ?

On 9/07/2014 13:48, Hoffman, Allen wrote:

> Heuristically speaking:
>
> Why wouldn’t a blind user know a new window was opened?
>

> In at least three screen readers I use I don’t seem to miss this
> information.
>

> Standardsly speaking:
>
> The window handle is available for assistive technology use from the
> OS or user-agent using the OS, so I’m not clear why this is a content
> issue and not a user-agent issue, especially since how such windows
> are handled is nearly universally configurable now in browsers.  Since
> the user-agent knows, the information is obviously available, so the
> assistive technology should be able to pick this up easily enough
> without specific additional content cues.
>

> What am I missing?

If you argue only from the point of view of screen readers, you miss all
other users with disabilities; screen reader users represent a minority
of people with disabilities. That's why I checked what 7 different
browsers do with 'target="_blank"'; as a sighted keyboard user, for
example, you get exactly nothing. As a magnifier user, you get nothing.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

"La vie est courte, hélas! et je n'ai pas encore lu tous mes livres!" (d'après Mallarmé).