Re: SC failure for opening new window without prior notice ?

I would say: "It is not a universal failure, since the content provides
enough -programmatically determinable- information that user agents can
use to inform the user, but the content may fail WCAG due to the lack of
accessibility support by current user agents".

In any case, this issue not only affects screen reader users, but anyone
who doesn't know that a new window/tab will be opened. In this sense, it
seems that this is more a usability issue than an accessibility one,
since it affects equally people with disability or without it. It would
be accessibility-related only if sighted users are informed of the new
window but blind users (or other Pwd) are not.

Cheers,
Ramón.