Re: SC failure for opening new window without prior notice ?

Hi Aurélien,

On 9/07/2014 12:10, Aurélien Levy wrote:

>> Based on F37 alone, we cannot definitively conclude whether
>> target="_blank" without a warning is a failure. It is just not part
>> of *this* failure. In the absence of failure descriptions that
>> specifically mention Aurélien's case, we have only the success
>> criteria to go by. Whether this case fails SC 3.2.2 hinges on the
>> interpretation of "changing the setting of any user interface
>> component": does activating a link constitute a change in a setting?
>> A link is a UI component, but does activating it constitute a change
>> in its setting? (Nothing that you can retrieve from the DOM, as far
>> as I know, unlike certain properties of form fields.) So it seems
>> hard to argue that Aurélien's example fails SC 3.2.2.
>>
>> However, the code fails SC3.2.5; there is even a failure for this:
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/F22>.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Christophe
> I agree with that but it strange because the understanding of 3.2.5
> state :
>
> *Change on Request:* Changes of context
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#context-changedef>
> are initiated only by user request or a mechanism
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#mechanismdef>
> is available to turn off such changes. (Level AAA)
>
> and we have this /Note: /Clicking on a link is an example of an action
> that is "initiated only by user request."

The definition of "changes of context" lists "opening a new window" as
an example. Activating a link by itself should just open a new page in
the same viewport; if it opens a new window, that is something beyond
normal expectations. If the link contains a warning that it opens a new
window, and the user clicks that link, the user is requesting the change
of context described in the link.

> So nothing ask about prior warning. It may be better to have something
> like :
> *Change on Request:* Changes of context
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#context-changedef>
> are initiated only by user request *with a prior warning* or a
> mechanism
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#mechanismdef>
> is available to turn off such changes. (Level AAA)
> or
> *Change on Request:* Changes of context
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#context-changedef>
> are initiated only by user request or a mechanism
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html#mechanismdef>
> is available to turn off*, warn the the user *of such changes. (Level
> AAA)
>
> Regarding SC 2.4.4 I ask the question because there is an example of
> using title to warn the user of opening new windows
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/H33 so if not
> warning the user is not a failure of SC 2.4.4 maybe it's best to
> change this example as well

Hmm, based on the user agent support
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/Techniques/ua-notes/html#H33> I don't
consider the title attribute as a very convincing technique.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

"La vie est courte, hélas! et je n'ai pas encore lu tous mes livres!" (d'après Mallarmé).