Re: SC failure for opening new window without prior notice ?

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 10:31:17 +0100
To: Christophe Strobbe <strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de>
Cc: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On 9 July 2014 10:16, Christophe Strobbe <strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Where in Aurélien's example is the "prior notice"? Which mainstream
> browsers announce something like "new window" when a link has
> 'target="_blank"'? (As far as I can see, not Firefox 30, nor Google Chrome
> 35, Opera 12.17 (with the Presto engine), Opera 22 (with the Webkit
> engine), SeaMonkey 2.26.1, Comodo Dragon 33.1 or - eh - Internet Explorer
> 11. Only tested on Windows 7.)
> Example 1 in technique G201 at least announces the new window:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/G201#G201-examples>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/G201#G201-examples>.

from my reading of the criteria and the technique you cite, it is not a
requirement that users be informed of new links opening a new window, its
an 'advisory technique' not a 'sufficient technique' if you look at the
listed failures unlike F37: Failure of Success Criterion 3.2.2 due to
launching a new window without prior warning when the status of a radio
button, check box or select list is changed
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/F37> openeing a new
window when activating a link is not listed as a failure.

--

Regards

SteveF