Re: figcaption NOT an replacement for alt in HTML5

David wrote:

> What the user can't do currently with JAWS in this construct is:
>
> -create a custom label for the graphic which they could do if it was a
> plain image, and list this graphic with other graphics have custom labels,
>
> -surf through graphics with the G key
>
> The second issue is true for NVDA also.

The user only knows that there is an image because there is an
aria-label that says that, not because the object is exposed to the AT.

What is more important, in my opinion, is that the screen reader user
cannot interact with the image object. For example, it is not possible
to view the image, save it, view its information, etc. All these things
are still available to a mouse user using the right click.

Therefore, I would not say that it "does work in at least 2 browser/UA
combinations: JAWS with IE or Firefox", since the image is not
accessible to the screen reader user for common actions that others can
perform with images.

Regards,
Ramón.