Re: figcaption NOT an replacement for alt in HTML5

thanks much David

this is VERY helpful.

QUESTION:    When would ALT text not be available at time of publication -- but the figure caption would?
I don't see any reason that one couldn’t put  the basic information in the ALT such as  "Figure described in caption below"  so that a blind screen reader  a) knows that there is a figure and b) knows that the description is in the caption - if the caption is sufficient.

Of course I see a danger that all figures might suddenly have this text show up in them....   But if captions are EVER accepted automatically as replacing ALT text -- this would be the effect anyway.   ALT text would disappear since any checker would pass each picture that had a caption -- no matter how weak it was.  (e.g. "Chart showing the critical required elements in your application").

I just don't see any reason to accept a caption instead of ALT.    If the captions is so good - then the ALT text can point to it  ( ALT="Figure described well in caption").    OR   ARIA can of course be used when it is supported by AT.

Other's thoughts?    Am I missing something?

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison
Technical Director - Cloud4all Project - http://Cloud4all.info
Co-Director, Raising the Floor - International - http://Raisingthefloor.org
and the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure Project -  http://GPII.net