From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 12:53 PM
To: Hoffman, Allen
Cc: CAE-Vanderhe; Alastair Campbell; GLWAI Guidelines WG org
Subject: Re: WCAG-ISSUE-23 (DavidMacD): We should consider a new "Failure to provide role=presentation on a layout table"

On 2 June 2014 17:41, Hoffman, Allen <allen.hoffman@hq.dhs.gov<mailto:allen.hoffman@hq.dhs.gov>> wrote:
I just have trouble with this is a failure because “some” AT products might or might not support this at some point in time.

It is not a failure because certain AT products support or not support something. Use table markup for layout is a misuse of HTML semantics as table markup is for tabular data. That's how it is defined in HTML now and has always been (AFAIK)
HTML Table element semantics are unambiguously conveyed via accessibility APIs as data table semantics. <td> is short for 'table data cell'.

--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>