Re: About "programmatically determined link context"

Hi Ramón

I totally support your position. While it is true that JAWS has commands
that read context while sitting on a link.  (see links below **) it is also
true that in 12 years of working with blind Screen Reader users I've never
seen anyone know how to do this or actually use it in the real world. At
the time, around 2005 when this issue came up, those of us on the committee
who were advocating for the concern of screen reader users were looking for
a compromise with those who wanted to ensure that authors of hotel sites
etc, had flexibility with authoring. John Slatin, who was an expert screen
reader user came up with this compromise. But is important to note that he
was quick to say that even as an expert JAWS user, he had never used any of
these keystrokes or even knew about them before investigating this issue
with the group. And in the nearly 10 years since then, it is still an
unknown, and not well supported in most screen readers.

I think in light of aria-describedby, aria-label, and aria-labelledby we
should be considering moving implicit  programmatic association techniques,
such as "enclosing sentence", and "enclosing paragraph" from  sufficient to
advisory.

**
http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/Techniques/ua-notes/html#H78
http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/Techniques/ua-notes/html#H80

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>

www.Can-Adapt.com

*  Adapting the web to all users*

If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy
policy<http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>