From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:49 PM
To: David MacDonald; Bailey, Bruce; WCAG
Subject: RE: I moved my HTNL5 techniques page to the WIKI

David, thanks for putting together this table.   For H49 - I think we should still recommend semantic markup for emphasis, etc.  This item relates to Failure F2.  Browsers for example italicize the em element. Some users with low vision have difficulty reading italic text and may desired to have style sheets that change how the em element is displayed.    User shouldn't be forced to guess at semantic meaning by looking at CSS rules when there is a semantic element available that should be used.  Since this isn't a failure I think we should keep the H49.

For H78, H80, H81, I prefer a technique that uses aria-labelled by rather than aria-label.  This will help users with low vision and cognitive impairments as reading tools could highlight the link as well as any corresponding on-screen text indicated by aria-labelledby.

Jonathan