 Subject: Re: Aria-labelledby for form controls- examples
 To: "Sailesh Panchang" <spanchang02@yahoo.com>
 Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
 Date: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 5:49 PM

 Sailesh,
 Replies inline.
 On 9/12/2013 9:16 AM, Sailesh Panchang wrote:
 > Hello James,
 > The third issue about the checkbox:
 > Before the example, there is a paragraph which
 explains  why the checkbox needs a specific
 identifier.
 > The 'check to compare' serves little or no purpose, I'd
 say even visually,  but it is part of the UI.
 > But I'll reiterate as a VI user  that  It is
 text that can be safely be ignored by AT to avoid cluttering
 verbosity. So I believe the aria-labelledby markup is good
 as is.
 > Agree?
 JN: No I do not agree. You are not all VI users. Others have
 different opinions than yours. Indeed I created 3 testcases
 - your example, one using aria-labelledby to combine both
 "labels" and one using aria-labelledby and aria-describedby
 and asked a colleague which she preferred. The answer was
 "I like the second link better because it's clear what the
 checkboxes are for. "

 The second link was the following HTML

 <form action="#" method="post" id="form9">

 <h3 id="lap1">Gaming Laptop</h3>
 aria-labelledby="lap1 id1"><label for="lbl1"
 id="id1">Check to compare</label></p>
 <h3 id="lap2">Mini Laptop</h3>
 aria-labelledby="lap2 id2"><label for="lbl2"
 id="id2">Check to compare</label></p>
 <h3 id="lap3">Fully Featured Touchscreen
 Laptop</h3>
 aria-labelledby="lap3 id3"><label for="lbl3"
 id="id3">Check to compare</label></p>
 </form>

 > Ref: http://mars.dequecloud.com/demo/form-markup.htm#tech9
 >
 > About role=group write-up:
 > What I have already submitted is a specific technique
 for grouping related form controls generally usable when one
 is constrained by design to use fieldset-legend technique.
 So please review  / discuss and consider for
 incorporating into techniques.
 > As I wrote it, it will be good if others can comment.
 JN: In order to make edits I need to get this into the wiki.
 It requires edits (particularly to the test procedure) in
 order to be acceptable as a technique. I don't have time to
 do this at the moment and would invite you to do so and
 perhaps refine the test procedure so we can progress the
 technique.

 regards,
 James

 > Also review other changes / comments :