W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > January to March 2013

Re: [html-techs-tf] Agenda Jan 28, 2013

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:06:08 +0000
Message-ID: <5106BE10.80201@cfit.ie>
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
CC: "w3c-wai-pf@w3.org PF" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Hi y'all,

Here are the minutes from todays call. Thanks to Loretta for scribing. [1]

Apologies for errors etc.

Cheers

Josh

[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/01/28-html-techs-tf-minutes.html

- DRAFT -

HTML Techniques Task Force

28 Jan 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
+1.253.381.aaaa, Detlev, James_Nurthen, Robin, Loretta, Joshue
Regrets
Chair
Joshue
Scribe
Loretta
Contents

Topics
1) Actions for dealing with technique feedback.
2) Progressing the new 'User Agent Testing Methodology and Notes' 
document. http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/UAtesting
Summary of Action Items
<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130117misc/results
<Joshue108> [1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/UAtesting
hi
<Detlev> See whehter this will be associated with Detev
<scribe> scribe:Loretta
Boeing
Robin tells us about her background.
1) Actions for dealing with technique feedback.

<Joshue108> Discussion on latest technique feedback.
<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130117misc/results
<Joshue108> 
https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130117misc/results#xlandmark
<jamesn> http://tinyurl.com/abtysuu
<Detlev> http://tinyurl.com/abtysuu
David took an action item to rework and combine the landmark techniques.
<Detlev> http://tinyurl.com/ax39jp9
<jamesn> 
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_ARIA_landmarks_to_bypass_blocks_of_content,_and_provide_programmatic_structure.
<Joshue108> 
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_ARIA_landmarks_to_bypass_blocks_of_content,_and_provide_programmatic_structure.
<jamesn> 
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_ARIA_landmarks_to_bypass_blocks_of_content,_and_provide_programmatic_structure.
<Detlev> http://tinyurl.com/ax39jp9
Josh: Let's put the new technique to survey for next week, rather than 
trying to cover this on the fly.
<Detlev> web
<robin> web
<jamesn> JN: Added some comments. Imagine the survey will need actions 
on the test procedure.
Heading technique - someone (James?) to update the examples.
<Detlev> The retrofitting case seemed pretty compelling
Pushback on the net about using role=header in HMTL, since there is 
already heading markup.
This is an issue with many of our simple examples.
<Joshue108> 
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_aria-labelledby_to_name_controls
Most compelling use case: repair technique for legacy code that wasn't 
designed using heading markup.
Changing the dom hierarchy can break such web sites. Adding an attribute 
is a safe change.
Josh has specific real-life examples of such situations.
Detlev: if we tag this clearly as a repair technique, it should be clear 
that this is not a recommendation to use role header instead of heading 
markup.
Loretta: the labelledby technique that started the discussion probably 
should be using heading markup instead of role header.
<jamesn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Headings_using_role%3Dheading
James will craft the text for the role=heading technique, to capture 
these nuances.
<jamesn> ACTION: JN to find write some text about use cases for roles on 
things which would be better in native html [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2013/01/28-html-techs-tf-minutes.html#action01]
flowto technique: put it on hold for now, since it doesn't seem to be 
helpful at this point.
Detlev: Firefox and JAWS has some support.
Loretta: Digging into flowto, I think it will be very hard to use, even 
when there is accessibility support.
2) Progressing the new 'User Agent Testing Methodology and Notes' 
document. http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/UAtesting

UA Testing doc: people are encouraged to review and edit the wiki directly.
Detlev: what should the document try to achieve? Educate people who are 
not familiar with screen reader technology?
Josh: Maybe put together the steps to test using AT?
... Capture and document the fact that we are considering testing issues 
for techniques.
Detlev: SSB-Bart has some good documentation on this, that could go into 
the Resources section.
<robin> As a new person to this, that would be very useful for people 
like me
Josh takes the action to update the document with this kind of information.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Making_actions_keyboard_accessible_by_using_keyboard_event_handlers_with_WAI-ARIA_controls
<robin> Thanks for having me, I need to drop off for another meeting. I 
do get to go to CSUN and would love to meet up with people
<Detlev> here is the link to the SS bart resource
<Detlev> 
http://www.readability.com/read?url=https%3A//www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/2013/01/02/how-browsers-interact-with-screen-readers-and-where-aria-fits-in-the-mix/
<Detlev> its actually not a description how to test with AT
<Joshue> no probs!
<jamesn> thanks
<Joshue> Sorry guys
<Joshue> chat next week!
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: JN to find write some text about use cases for roles on 
things which would be better in native html [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2013/01/28-html-techs-tf-minutes.html#action01]
Received on Monday, 28 January 2013 18:06:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 28 January 2013 18:06:38 GMT