Re: Question about SC 1.4.2 - can this be met by relying on Windows (or otherwise the platform or user agent) to do it for you?

Yes that would be a technique if you are in an environment that guarantees that only Windows 7 (or whatever versions) are used by people viewing the web page.   Not sure how you would enforce that.  Otherwise it would not work.

  So we couldn’t list it as a sufficient tech I wouldn’t think.

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison
Technical Director - Cloud4all Project - http://Cloud4all.info
Co-Director, Raising the Floor - International - http://Raisingthefloor.org
and the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure Project -  http://GPII.net